check_snmp ?

Jan Scholten Jan.Scholten at iconz.net
Wed Nov 17 22:46:07 CET 2004

> Good afternoon, all.
Good morning.. at least it's not yet noon.

> I'm trying to do a service check on a device using SNMP.  (Does anyone
Don't know Nagmin

> know what variable name is used for NagMIN's SNMP community string?)

> It sounds like SNMP is a good basic service check for most of our
> network devices, as we mostly have managed switches and wireless access
> points to monitor.  (Rarely anything with web, DNS, SMTP, or other
> services, in other words)  I don't really care what the exact response
> is, I just want to know if the device responds at all.  I want to do
> something like this so I can just use pings for the host check -- I
> believe this will help eliminate some minor configuration issues we have
> now.

> I've been experimenting today, and here is the command I added to NagMIN:
>
> $USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -o 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 -C $COMMUNITY$

> That OID is just the system uptime on a Cisco AP1200.  I don't know if
> that's the best way to do a basic SNMP test on a device, or not.  (Would
> a different OID be better?  And again, does anyone know the correct
> variable name for NagMIN's SNMP community string?)

Test what fits you best and what is interesting for you .. check
temperature, load, memory usage.. every snmp check is as good as
another. I don't know where to put the community string in Nagmin. but
make sure it's the right string for that device.

> Can anyone help me to figure out the best way to handle all this? Anyone
> believe strongly that SNMP is not the best way to check the service(s)
> on our basic network devices?

Incooperaqte as many checks as you like. snmp can check a lot of things
other checks can't (as long as a snmp daemon is running) but checking
wheter http answers with snmpo is .. impossible (?).

There is no perfect or best way.. there are only ways that fit your
needs! As said before: i check http smpt, nrpe, check_nt, ssh on many
servers on the network equiptment i check (with snmp) (if supported)
temperature, load, memory, link status, bgp, and i catch traps sent by
the network devices. I belive network equipment  needs snmp checks. (as
there is normally no other way to get the data.

Jan