check_snmp WARNING

Jan Scholten Jan.Scholten at iconz.net
Wed Nov 17 22:01:50 CET 2004

  > In your message below I would also arrive at the same result on my
nagios
> system...
>>From the command line of a ./check_snmp   result = SNMP OK - Level2,
>
> The problem however, is that the nagios monitor shows check_snmp:Invalid
> warning threshold %s error message
> It is true that -w is  not appropriate for system location; & I am guessing
> the above threshold error message is due to the missing -w.
> -maybe this is my mistake. (?)

I don't understand whjat you mean with nagios monitor, i tried to setup
a checkcommand and have the correct output on the Webinterface.

for checks where you want to check wheter a received Interger Value is
in a given range consult the --help it's kinda difficult but logical
(try around) Remeber: the return Value is NOT "SNMP OK - 1" but "1" SNMP
OK comes from the Plugin not the snmpget, so don't try to check whether
the return value includes SNMP ok :-0

> So then for interface traffic, or any other MIB string, how would you solve
> the above invalid warning threshold error message.
> -> especially in the instance that I have listed below, where -w would not
> even be an appropriate variable

Don't use a -w and -c works fine (here) returns ok all the time and the
output is displayed.

> ..& you are correct that switches ( in a secure space ) don't 'usually'
> move or get unplugged...
> But imagine that you are working in a multi- campus environment and need to
> replace a card, blade, you name it...
Yeah.. let it live for 2 years and you find the switches names
groundfloor building A somewhere on the roof of building G ;-) Trust
me.. but the intention is great, that's sure.

> It helps to know where the device is located. ; /

Yeah.. sometimes. i usally name the devices after the location, like
build1-floor3-sw1 which does the same.

Jan