check_snmp WARNING

Jamie Roughan jamie.roughan at mizuho-sc.com
Wed Nov 17 06:27:39 CET 2004

Subjext: check_snmp WARNING

Yes, indeed you have missed the point (perhaps I was too vague),  I will try
to now clearify

In your message below I would also arrive at the same result on my nagios
system...
>From the command line of a ./check_snmp   result = SNMP OK - Level2,

The problem however, is that the nagios monitor shows check_snmp:Invalid
warning threshold %s error message
It is true that -w is  not appropriate for system location; & I am guessing
the above threshold error message is due to the missing -w.
-maybe this is my mistake. (?)

So then for interface traffic, or any other MIB string, how would you solve
the above invalid warning threshold error message.
-> especially in the instance that I have listed below, where -w would not
even be an appropriate variable

...& you are correct that switches ( in a secure space ) don't 'usually'
move or get unplugged...
But imagine that you are working in a multi- campus environment and need to
replace a card, blade, you name it...

It helps to know where the device is located. ; /
----------------------------------
I don't get your problem:
chewbacca:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# ./check_snmp -C public -H myhost -o
SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0
SNMP OK - Level2, Serverroom 4 chewbacca:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# echo $?
0

What for do you need a -w for that? -w is probably usefull if the return
Value is a Integer not a String.
-------------------------------

create a check_command
like
define command{
command_name	check_syslocation
command_line	$USER1$/check_snmp -C public -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -o
SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0
}
edit services.cfg for
{
..
..
check_command	check_syslocation
}

And everything should be fine, but checking syslocation is quite
strange, since switches normally don't wander around.. better place
would be notes_url i think..

Jan