Check Command Reference and Examples

Jan Scholten Jan.Scholten at iconz.net
Wed Nov 17 21:44:07 CET 2004

> 1) Is there a command reference someplace for all the different check
> commands?

No.. there is the --help where you see all parameters and what they do,
setting up the check_commands you need is your work.

[cut]

> I discovered that the command line that I had
> specified on the CLI would go in the checkcommands.cfg file, (I am
> guessing I would specify a check command for each website, but I am not
> sure).
[cut]

Yes and No!
Yes: You have to specify all your commands in the checkcommands.cfg and
use that commands in ther services.cfg
No: You don't have to specify a check for every website, just build one
check_mySite command that accepts a argument (or more than one)

Example:

define command{
	command_name	check_mySite
	commandline	check_http	-w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ $ARG3$
}

call it (for your example) in the services:
check_command	check_mySite!5!10!pictures.mcaschool.net

you can reuse that check command for every site, but have to make a
different service entry for each host though.

> 2) Is there a repository anywhere of different examples of how people
> are setting up their host and service checks?  I am pinging hosts to
> make sure things are up, and doing some basic checks (smtp, http, etc)
> but I want to make sure that I am utilizing this resource properly.

I don't believe theres a repository, i check with ping, smtp, ssh, http,
smtp and NRPE.

> Thanks for all your time and help
>
> TIM
> Timothy A. Holmes