Reporting features

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Wed Nov 17 15:37:20 CET 2004

We've had problems with one of our remote sites, where we have
infrastructure inside the building but someone else provides the T1. We
monitor the provider's router WAN and LAN IP's (it's a Cisco router and
we can tell when the cable is unplugged because the LAN interface stops
responding, versus when the T1 itself is down) as well as our equipment
there. These people are saying our stuff doesn't work, yada yada, but
most of the times in question *surprise* match up with times when their
T1 was down.

If I go in and try and build a report for the router, however, my report
is cluttered with a metric crapload of "NAGIOS RESTARTED" gray entries
as well as some Red and Green host down/ups and some Green "Host remains
up" when a service died. I'm using the Host Availibility report. I tried
the Trend report, but it doesn't seem to give any detailed breakout
below the purty graph.

I guess what I'm looking for, is there a report that looks like the Host
Availability report, but which ONLY shows state/availability *changes*
and ignores all the other clutter? As a side request, it would also be
nice to find a way to do a custom reporting period (or even a few
additional reports, like Past 90 Days) from the builtin reports.

Thanks,

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications