check_snmp WARNING

Jamie Roughan jamie.roughan at mizuho-sc.com
Wed Nov 17 05:11:59 CET 2004

I am looking for acceptable warning parameters ( -w ) to resolve the
following error:

- check_snmp: invalid warning threshold.

./check_snmp -C public -H x.x.x.x -o SNMPv2-MIB::syslocation.0 returns SNMP
OK,
-snmpget -c public x.x.x.x -o ....  Also runs ok
-snmpwalk is ok; but nagios still complains about missing -w option.

# Solution 2 from the FAQ  below does not resolve the issue because snmpget
is ok.
# I plan to download the mibs and try numeric oids,..
   -but am also interested in any examples of setting -w thresholds without
(independent of)
    numeric oids / useful mibs).

I read the FAQ and believe that solution (2) is incorrect. At least for me.
; /

Solutions:

1. Prevent check_snmp from loading the MIBs (default behaviour) by using
numeric oids AND using the "-m :" option

or

2. run the snmpget command on the command line, check which MIB files is the
problem, and correct it.