Nagios and DB support.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Nov 16 18:49:10 CET 2004

Scott Sanders wrote:
> They also sound like my problems. I would like to see Nagios evlove into
> a full network monitoring/management tool, but I can't see how this is
> possible without database support.  I personally need to regularly poll a
> large number of devices' traffic stats, transmission errors, connected
> clients, link quality, etc. These all need to be stored in a DB so I can
> quickly graph them with rrdtool.

If you want it graphable with rrdtool you should look into using mrtg or
cacti. Nagios is not a graphing tool. It's more directed towards current
status to let you know what's wrong now, not what was wrong last month
even though it tells you that as well, but without the graphs.

> Storing data for at least a year is  also important,

Then you'd want to stick to files. A network with 3000 services or more
will make a database sluggish in far less than a year if Murphy works
his usual magic.

> because it shows seasonal trends, which can be very
> important in RF.
>
> I currently use nagios for alerts and graph all my devices with a
> seperate program. This is annoying because it forces me to keep two
> config files instead of just a single one.

Write a script to import from the one to the other. It saves you the
work. Most network admins/supervisors/whatever don't want graphs of
everything they want monitored, though, so you might want to add some
logic for that in the script.

> Either way, I would like to  see nagios make more use of rrdtool,

You need perfparse then, and you also need to keep in mind that the
output of the nagios plugins aren't always graphable ("Service foo has
stopped" and other digital checks spring to mind).

> as being able to visually track
> changes can be even more vauable than a pager going off with a "host
> critical" warning.

The notifications are for keeping the graphs flying high. The graphs are
for checking how valuable those pager notifications have been. Again,
you might not want graphs of everything you want monitored.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer