Traffic per user

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Nov 15 19:26:40 CET 2004

Matthew Kent wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 16:30, Oscar Ramos wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to know the traffic of each of the users of my
>> network. Users usually use only one computer, but this computer is
>> shared by different users. I do not know if there is any plugin get
>> the information or any program that will help me to develop a new
>> plugin. Any ideas or clues?
>>
>> R-ds, OScar.
>

> That's a pretty tall order for a plugin :)

Indeed.

> Might want to look at something like ntop
> (http://www.ntop.org/ntop.html) that would be better suited to your
> needs.

Definitely. However, to get that traffic usage per user on the shared
computers you will have to write some additional code to register when
people log on to that computer, as well as some report logic to
correlate between logged in user and gathered traffic. It's not terribly
advanced, seeing as ntop can report usage in csv format with close to
extreme details, but the task might prove burdensome if you haven't got
a lot of time to invest in it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer