Error: Could not open command file '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd' for update!

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Thu Nov 11 19:13:58 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:50:09AM -0600, Lance Boon wrote:
> I've just set up Nagios 1.2 up on a Fedora Core 9 box and most of it
> seems to be working correctly. However if I want to add a comment to one
> of my hosts I get the error "Error: Could not open command file
> '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd' for update!" I've followed the
> instructions on http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/commandfile.html
> to no avail. If I look at the apache access log I see
The directory containing the cmd file must be group-owned by the
same group as the webserver. That way the nagios.cmd file will
be created as group-owned by the webserver and it'll be able to
write to it.

-Jason Martin
--
Many people own cats - and go on to lead normal lives.
This message is PGP/MIME signed.