Status Map

Kyriacos Sakkas sakkas at unimedcy.com
Wed Nov 10 11:00:57 CET 2004

Tim Holmes wrote:

> Good Afternoon
>

> I have made quite a bit of progress with my Nagios installation,
> thanks in no small part to the excellent help that have received from
> this list.
>

> I am now to the point of wanting to configure my status map display.
>

> I have begun editing the hostextinfo.cfg file, and I am making nice
> progress in placing my icons on the screen etc.  I have bumped into a
> couple of small questions, which I cannot seem to locate the answers
> to in the documentation.
>

>    4. In the example screenshot in the documentation, the circular
>       (marked up) screen shows the different hosts connected to their
>       proper switches etc.  I cannot seem to do this in mine,  I
>       suspect that it is related to them all being labeled as root
>       hosts, but again, I haven't been able to find how to change this
>       (Could someone point me in the right direction for those
>       instructions)

Hi,
 Ok this is only for point 4, as due to my small number of hosts, i
haven't felt the need to plat with custom maps or extended info yet.
Anyway, to get a proper tree like stracture you need to define the
_parents_ parameter for hosts.
Here is an example:
# Default gateway host definition
define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use

        host_name               gw
        alias                   Default Gateway
        address                 192.168.1.1
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      5
        notifications_enabled   1
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }
#External Host Definition
define host{
    use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use

    host_name               exthost
    parents                 gw
    alias                   An External Host
    address                 10.0.0.2
    check_command           check-host-alive
    max_check_attempts      10
    notifications_enabled   1
    notification_interval   240
    notification_period     24x7