Plugin to check MD5 sum on certain files

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Nov 9 23:36:17 CET 2004

Dan Stromberg wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 12:56, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>

>>> I'm not opposed to using another method, it is just what Big
>>>Brother had used.
>>
>>A poor design choice isn't made better because people use it.
>

> By the same token, antispam filtering, antivirus filtering, and
> host-based printer page counting are "poor design choices" - they're all
> fallible, and they're all "incomputable" in a strict computation theory
> sense.

Moot comparison. Filtering rules aren't in the hands of the spammer or
virus-author, but checksum comparison data and programs needs to be
accessed on the system where it's used. Accessible means root can alter
them. There's no avoiding it.

If you compare it to setting up a spamfilter for outgoing mail in the
sending client you'd be dead on target.

> But if you go around telling people they should stop using these just
> because they cannot do the job 100%, people are just going to laugh at
> you.  Long and loud.

I argue people should use pop-before-smtp on their servers and filter
all email that doesn't match a whitelist or isn't text-only.
I argue people should use Unix-based operating systems instead of
Windows because Windows-based systems are flawed in design, making them
susceptible to virii and worms in 99% of all default installations.
I argue people should use opensource because that's the only way you can
be sure the program does what it's supposed to without doing anything else.
I argue people should run networking daemons as dedicated pseudo-users
in chroot jail and use firewalls to block out access to ports that
aren't in use.
I argue that people should MANUALLY run checks for rootkits and such
every once in a while, because automated tests just doesn't work if the
attacker manages to get root access.

I don't hear anybody laughing. On the contrary, I make pretty good money
implementing what I argue.

> The only reason it isn't the same in the security world, is people don't
> understand computer security well enough to laugh into oblivion, the
> people arguing against doing the best you can.

Hearing from you that people don't understand computer security is a bit
like hearing a monkey telling a bird how to fly.
You can substitute "bird" with "real admin" and "fly" with "set up and
operate a computer in a secure manner" in the previous sentence. The
monkey part stays the same, though.

By the way, did you find my last reply?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer