Plugin to check MD5 sum on certain files

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Tue Nov 9 14:25:39 CET 2004

Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> writes:

> Putting only the checksum files on non-writable media is just an
> exercise in futility, because anyone shrewd enough to replace your ls
> will be shrewd enough to replace your md5sum program as well.

Not necessarily. I've seen plenty of cases where system binaries are
replaced, but not md5sum.

But you still might want to use some other, more obscure way to
calculate the checksum. The md5 module in Python, for example.

Given enough time and knowledge, a sufficiently clever cracker can
probably circumvent any traps you or I can set for them. Still, quick
and dirty sanity checks can be excellent tools, as long as you are
aware of their limitations.

--
Leif Nixon                                    Systems expert