SEND_NSCA mimic login method

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Tue Nov 9 02:00:54 CET 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 09:25:32AM +1100, Michal Polonski wrote:

> The problem is that I have to use VB with send_nsca and I can't seem
> to hold its open state, anotherwords, when I call send_nsca to connect
> to nagios, it connects fine, but I can't seem to hold the terminal
> window or std_out in order to send further status checks etc..
>
> if there's another way of embedding send_nsca into VB, I'd be greatful
> to hear it. Other than that I'm trying to get VB to connect to Nagios
> as a socket connection, the only problem I'm having is authentication,
> even without any encryption. How and when to authenticate is the
> issue.. I've read through the source code, but it yelds no clues..

I think send_nsca is designed to read the information to send up
until end-of-file, and then transmit it all at once.  So, you'll
probably need to just run send_nsca over and over again.

My $EMPLOYER decided that our web sites had to be checked every ten
seconds or so.  I ended up putting a Perl script on the domain
controller that lives with the web servers, which checks the sites
every 10 seconds.  Every time the status changes, or every 40 seconds,
it sends out the status of the 3 sites we're monitoring with this
method via send_nsca.  This gives a nice balance between getting
immediate results, and not constantly flooding the Nagios server
with "it's still okay" messages.

You may need to configure inetd to allow a greater number of
connections to the nscad than its default.