Checking stuff on remote hosts question

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue Nov 2 23:19:17 CET 2004

Hello everyone.

As i dive deeper and deeper into Nagios, I am finding that there are more
and more things that i want to do. With that comes a few questions and
problems that i have run into.

Right now, i am running nagios 1.2 on a Fedora Core 2 box.
One thing I am trying to get working is the ability to check the load
average on a remote host.

The host I am trying to contact is a Red Hat 8.0.

i have gone ahead and setup SSH-KEYS for the user nagios (setup nagios on
the remote host).

I have been able to key passwordless SSH working for the user nagios. WHich
is good. I can even try the plugin from the commandline, using the user
nagios and it works correctly.

However, here is my problem. On the web interface, I see this error on the
remote host when it is checking for the load average:

bash: line 1: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_load: No such file or directory

That tells me that the remote host is trying to execute that command on
itself, correct? If not, im missing something.

My question here is I am missing something, or I have misread something and
now I am confused.

If I am trying to check the load average on a few remote machines, besides
setting up the nagios server, what else needs to be done on the remote
hosts? This seems to be my pitfall at this point.

I appreciate the help.

Jason