Nagios restart mucks with service check schedu le

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Mon Nov 1 22:53:24 CET 2004

Recalculate your nagios.cfg file setting for service inter-check-delay.
Don't use the 's'mart setting in this case.  To accomodate the heavy 1st
minute, you may need to adjust other related values such as max_concurrent,
etc.

Your new formula:
Take 1 minute divide by # services, use result as your inter-check-delay.

Refer to docs for more information about service check scheduling theory.
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/checkscheduling.html#inter_check_dela

Example:
10 services
inter_check_delay = 6 sec
(all checks will complete within first minute.  After that, each uses its
defined interval in  rescheduling)

Caveats:
While your startup is now finishing in time, your service checks will be
"clumped", so this may have adverse affects on resources such as monitored
devices, network load, etc.  The "clump" will  slowly become spread out in
random fashion over time until the next restart.