check_by_ssh little help

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Mon Nov 1 21:52:49 CET 2004

Hello everyone.

Been trying to get check_by_ssh working here this morning. I feel like I am
close, but missing something.

I setup passwordless SSH, using keys. Tested it with my account and it
works. (Going to use my login as a test, jwilliams)

Anyway, if I navigate to the plugin directory and execute the following
command:

./check_by_ssh -H 192.168.1.199 -C uptime

I get the result printed back to me, which is great (BTW, the above command
is executed by my login name).

But the problem I think is when I am setting up the checkcommands portion.
I think I am making it more difficult than it is and may be going in
circles. :(

Here is what I have setup (Checking the load average BTW)

First, I have this:

# 'check_local_load' command definition
define command{
         command_name    check_load_avg
         command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C
"$USER1$/check_load -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$"
         }

Then, I have this:

# check_by_ssh
define command{
         command_name    check_by_ssh
         command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS -C uptime -l
jwilliams
         }

I think I may be doing something backwards here, or something is missing,
as I cannot get it to bring back the info I am requesting.

I thought i'd ask here for a little bit of help maybe clear up what I am
doing incorrectly.

I appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Jason