Nagios restart mucks with service check schedule

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Mon Nov 1 20:19:11 CET 2004

Hey,

I'm using Nagios v1.2 and running into a bit of a problem with
scheduling. My template specifies 5 minutes for normal checks, and in
select definitions I've been setting it to 1 minute. Doesn't seem to be
taking that into account on a reload/reschedule, however.

I've got the following services template in use:

# Standard service definition, with standard check options
define service{
	name				standard-service
	active_checks_enabled		1
	passive_checks_enabled		1
	parallelize_check		1
	obsess_over_service		1
	check_freshness			0
	notifications_enabled		1
	event_handler_enabled		1
	flap_detection_enabled		1
	process_perf_data		0
	retain_status_information	1
	retain_nonstatus_information	1
	is_volatile		0
	check_period		24x7
	max_check_attempts	3
	normal_check_interval	5
	retry_check_interval	3
	notification_interval	480
	notification_period	24x7
	notification_options	w,u,c,r
	register			0	}

I then have the following service:

define service{
	use			standard-service
	host_name		westst_cr1.windchannel.com
	service_description	Serial3/0
	contact_groups		router-admins
	check_command		check_iftraffic!Serial3/0
	process_perf_data	1
	normal_check_interval	1
	}

After restarting nagios (service nagios reload), Nagios reschedules
service checks. For someone reason, this check (and others like it) get
scheduled for up to 5 minutes later, depending on where they fall in the
semi-random scheduling. After that first check is processed, the next
check is scheduled for 1 minute later. Normally I wouldn't worry about
it, but I'm processing performance data on this service too.

Is there any known issue with service check scheduling I should be aware
of, or a way around it?

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications