Pending Events Never Execute? Hosts Down Showing As Up?

Thomas Quinlan corsis_tom at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 03:31:41 CET 2004

All,

I must admit that I'm having an interesting problem
with Nagios.  I have two machines, one in a datacenter
and one in the office.  The one in the datacenter is
working perfectly.  The one in the office (whose
configuration files are rsynced from the datacenter
box) is not working properly.

Concerning the office Nagios box, anything that was
present in Nagios as of two weeks ago is running
checks as expected.  However, anything that has been
added since does not work.  There is plenty of disk
space, and MySQL is running, and the machine has been
rebooted several times.  However, every service and/or
host check that has been added in the last two weeks
remains as pending, and when the time comes for the
scheduled check, it reschedules it for five minutes
later.  (It's been doing that for two weeks, and I've
been unable to figure out why.)

Furthermore, the office Nagios box doesn't show things
as down when they are... if I log in as the nagios
user, and run a ping, it can be down, but Nagios will
continue to report it as being up.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  Anyone have any
hints?  It's Nagios 1.2, running on Gentoo with MySQL.

Thanks.

Thomas J. Quinlan, CISSP
Systems Security Analyst
Corsis Technology Services