freshness check on passive service fails

jan gregor pamela at rak.bb.euroweb.sk
Fri May 28 09:46:03 CEST 2004

> For what it's worth, I'm having similar issues myself too. My setup is a bit
> different so I'll post it below.  What happens here is that I have two
> Nagios processes running on two different hosts, in different subnets. The
> one
> doing the actual checks is obsessing over services and sends the results
> through nsca to the main nagios host.  The main host seems to decide my
> services results aren't fresh enough, then runs the check_command, which is
> a dummy script returning WARNING (originally CRITICAL but it generated too
> many notifications..), then, a couple seconds or minutes later, a new
> passive
> check comes in, which brings the service(s) back to OK, then a couple
> minutes
> later, it switches back to WARNING and so on..

Why are you doing freshness checking on master host? Is that of any use?
Please, correct me, if i'm wrong, but freshness checking is mainly for
active checking. Only idea when this is usable with passive is in
passive+active checks, when one services are configured to accept
passive check and doing active checks over some time (to check if we
have not missed somthing). Again, maybe I overlooked something important,
please correct me, if I'm terribly wrong.

Best regards

Jan Gregor