Extended Data problems under MySQL using Nagios 1.2 CGI Interface

Jason Branscum jasonb at teletouch.net
Thu May 27 00:06:02 CEST 2004

>> Tried to send this message from my exchange mailbox.. of course it got
rejected ;)  Lets try this again using my normal mailbox.

Hey All,

Been using Nagios for a while, it sure beats the tail off of WhatsUp..
in fact, I liked it so much that I showed it off to a friend.  Within a
week he migrated off of his WhatsUp monitoring and went to Nagios,
however, he has a cool feature which I lack.  On his 2d Status and 3d
Status page, he has neat lil icons for each of his hosts; I on the other
hand do not other than the defaults.  We're both running Version 1.2,
however I use the MySQL backend (compiled with -xdata) whereas he uses
the file based version.

Both my cgi.cfg and resource.cfg have the following:

xeddb_host=localhost
xeddb_port=3306
xeddb_database=nagios
xeddb_username=nagios
xeddb_password=heyb00b00

And other MySQL tables have populated rows.. so I know my SQL connection
is valid.

And for reference, here is a dump of my extended data table in mysql

CREATE TABLE `hostextinfo` (
  `host_name` varchar(75) NOT NULL default '',
  `notes_url` varchar(128) NOT NULL default '',
  `icon_image` varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
  `vrml_image` varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
  `gd2_icon_image` varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
  `icon_image_alt` varchar(128) NOT NULL default '',
  `x_2d` int(11) NOT NULL default '-1',
  `y_2d` int(11) NOT NULL default '-1',
  `x_3d` double(16,4) NOT NULL default '-1.0000',
  `y_3d` double(16,4) NOT NULL default '-1.0000',
  `z_3d` double(16,4) NOT NULL default '-1.0000',
  `have_2d_coords` tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '0',
  `have_3d_coords` tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '0'
) TYPE=MyISAM;

INSERT INTO `hostextinfo` VALUES ('lump', '', 'freebsd40.gif',
'freebsd40.gif', 'freebsd40.gd2', 'FreeBSD', -1, -1, '-1.0000',
'-1.0000', '-1.0000', 0, 0);
INSERT INTO `hostextinfo` VALUES ('fb1.tylr', '', 'firebox.gif',
'firebox.gif', 'firebox.gd2', 'Watchguard Firebox', -1, -1, '-1.0000',
'-1.0000', '-1.0000', 0, 0);

And here are the hosts as referred to above:

define host{
        use                     notify
        host_name               lump
        alias                   Lump (FreeBSD)
        address                 192.168.70.26
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }
define host{
        use                     notify
        host_name               fb1.tylr
        alias                   Tyler, TX - Firebox
        parents                 sw01.tylr
        address                 192.168.70.7
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

I checked, the images referred to above do exist in my logos directory.
I've kill -9'ed and restarted every time I've made a change which has
not helped either.  I'm stumped.. I even tried reverting to a file
version for extended host info and restarted Nagios.. no luck.. I think
it doesn't work because I compiled using SQL and it won't even try a
file.  I'm stumped here, read the FAQ and 4 weeks worth of majordomo
mailing list archives.. I've got nothing.. Any help would rock the
casbah!  I think I've been very detailed as to my problem.. if you need
any more clues/details, just mail me direct, I'm on the digest version
of the mailer.

One other thing completely unrelated; is there a way to design these
displays with a GUI that will spit out cords so that my maps look
pretty?  Even my 3d map really only uses a 2d plane, it would be neat to
see objects spread out on the third plane.

Jason