Has anyone looked into the product by www.hype ric.com before?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Wed May 26 21:23:57 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 12:57, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

>     >> One is to delay the release of the modifications enough to get
>     >> a first-mover advantage.  I haven't studied the GPL, but it
>     >> sounds like the GPL doesn't specify how soon you have to
>     >> release your changes.
>     J> I am pretty sure it should be read as 'if the user gets the
>     J> program, the source must be made available to them at the same
>     J> time'.
>
> The GPL is pretty explicit:
>
>   When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
>   price.  Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that
>   you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and
>   charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source code
>   or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or
>   use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you know you can do
>   these things.
>
> If you _distribute_ your changed GPL, you must provide the source code
> for the software you distribute (could be orig + patches) and not the
> source code for some /other/ version of the software.
>
> Otherwise, what's the point?

Actually, at least in the snippet you've quoted, it doesn't say anything
about how soon you have to make the code available.  EG, is it OK to
have a procedure for shipping a cdrom that takes 2 months?

There are companies trying these delays, and I'm not hearing about the
FSF getting on their respective cases.

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu>