Integrate with trouble ticket system?

Matthias Eichler me-lists at kernzeit.com
Wed May 26 09:53:28 CEST 2004

I am on my way integrating Nagios with our Trouble Ticket System (OTRS -
otrs.org) but I think there are pretty much issues that are the same -
not depending to the software itself.

> > If you are using something like RT (www.bestpractical.com/rt/), you could
> > just define a new host notification command in nagios and then have email
> > alerts mailed to support at rtbox.com or whatever your trouble ticket box's
> > address is.

My problem with this is that each email, also when it is a RECOVERY for
an existing PROBLEM, creates a new ticket as it is a new mail with no
corresponding [Ticket#]-Subject.

> # from resource.cfg
> # Request Tracker open request Ids
> $USER3$=[IPAustralia #1701]
> But this only handles one open request I hear you say. Yep. The proper
> way to do this is to have a notification command that consults a hash of
> requests keyed by service descriptions/names. The notify command
> probably should also determine the request queue using similar means.

Hmmm...but as every problem is a new ticket, wouldn't it better to
write an dynamic notification-command (or wouldn't be a global event
handler the better choice?) that resolves the corresponding Ticket#
out of the Ticket system.
Something like
SELECT * FROM ticket WHERE 'status' = 'open' AND 'queue' = 'nagios' AND
subject ='hostname' ;-)

> Closing requires an event handler to post a 'request resolved' to the RT
> web interface. AFAIK (and that's not saying much) this can't be done by
> email or perhaps it can if the nagios mailer is authorised by Request
> Tracker as an admin for the relevant request queue.

Thats a big issue also for me. Has anyone ever closed a ticket in OTRS
out of another system?

Bye,

Matthias

--