Has anyone looked into the product by www.hype ric.com before?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Tue May 25 20:26:56 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 04:58, Paul L. Allen wrote:
> Voon, Ton writes:
>
> > The GPL insists that changes to that core code must be available to their
> > customers
>
> No, it doesn't.  It states that modified source must be available to ALL
> third parties under the GPL for no more than a reasonable distribution
> cost (and the FAQ makes it clear that "third parties" means anybody who
> asks for it).  You can charge for the modified program (but must make
> source available under the GPL).  You can charge for installation.  You can
> charge for support.  But you MUST make the source available to anyone who
> asks, even if they have not purchased your program and/or support.

I've seen companies "get around" (not sure it's really legal) the GPL in
two ways.

One is to delay the release of the modifications enough to get a
first-mover advantage.  I haven't studied the GPL, but it sounds like
the GPL doesn't specify how soon you have to release your changes.

Another is to come up with an arrangement where you "own" the box your
modified code is on, so you aren't "redistributing" it (you're only
using it "internally").  You can then charge for the service of being
able to access the box.  There's been discussion of closing this
loophole in a future version of the GPL.

I'm not advocating either of these, but there are businesses trying
them.  We have an arrangement with at least one such business using the
2nd method.

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu>