Has anyone looked into the product by www.hype ric.com before?

Voon, Ton Ton.Voon at egg.com
Tue May 25 09:23:58 CEST 2004

I don't see why you cannot repackage Nagios and sell the service - in fact,
the GNU licence allows you to do that. What you cannot do is remove the GNU
licence or the copyrights.

Other companies "make money" from opensource software. Apple use a version
of FreeBSD as the core of their MacOSX. Red Hat make money from distributing
Linux. Webhosting companies use Apache to sell their services.

The key, I think, is to be open about it ("Plumtree use Nagios as the core
of our monitoring software") and show that you are "being a good citizen" by
contributing back changes and generally helping to improve the codebase. I
would be happy to credit Plumtree for any patches that you provide to show
your participation.

As for commercial support, http://nagios.org lists a few companies that will
provide you an extra level of support if your customers have problems that
you cannot fix internally. I'm sure you could partner with one of them.

My point is, I wouldn't rule out Nagios just because it is opensource. If
you think it is a good product, then your customers will too.

Ton