Escalations - getting a different message/notify command for each escalation level.

Tue May 25 07:50:33 CEST 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 08:18:27PM -0700, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> From: Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se>
> To: Nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Escalations - getting a different message/notify
>  command for each different escalation level.
>
> > Is there any way of having escalated notifications send a different
> > alert/notice message for each different escalation level ?
> >
> Yes. Nagios sports the nifty macro $NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$ (or something)
> which can be passed to notification-commands. Just write your own and
> evaluate the $NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$ macro before 'designing' the message.
>
> If this macro doesn't work as I expect (it might not, after all), then
> why not just add another macro ($ESCALATIONLEVEL$ or something).
>
> I have a script that could easily be hacked for this lying around
> somewhere, but I'm not sure where I've put it. I'll let you know if I
> find it.
>
> > A possible future solution would be to allow escalation templates to
> > specify the host_notify_command and service_notify_command attributes.
> >
> Seems like a bit overkill to me, since it would require more of both
> nagios and the end user. I'll dig in on finding that notification-script
> and make it public (maybe even default?) one way or another.

It seems to me that this proposal requires that the custom notification
command be used for _all_ notifications (at least those that want a
different message for each escalation level).

I would prefer that the custom notification command be used by only for
escalated notifications.

> > Another rather awkward solution is to have an event correlator examine
> > the Nag logs and use the correlators rules and actions to do the
> > escalation.

(This was a rediculous proposal of mine since the correlator would have
to replicate the Nag configuration for
hosts/hostgroups/services/constacts .. to determine who gets notified.
Quite doable - epsesh with Nagios::Config but stupid).

> The notification command I wrote gets name of acknowledging user this
> way. Depending on the depth of mining you need to do, it's not really
> all that hard.

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to do what I
want at the moment.

> Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
> OP5 AB
> +46 (0)733 709032