High check latency with nagios

mshirley at ysi.com mshirley at ysi.com
Mon May 24 21:41:53 CEST 2004

Sorry but that sounds like an incredibly large number of checks and hosts
to be running on a single machine.  There's no wonder you're having such
problems.  Unfortunatly this may be purley design and the reason that
clustering is a possiblility now.  Perhaps using multiple boxes (even slow
ones) spread out with a central server doing data collection would be a
better alternative.  Also, just because you have 2 processors and smp
enabled in the kernel doesn't mean nagios was written with proper threading
in mind (which defeats the purpose of dual processors).

Mark Shirley
IT Helpdesk
YSI Incorporated

|---------+---------------------------------------->
|         |           marino.simons at acerta.be      |
|         |           Sent by:                     |
|         |           nagios-users-admin at lists.sour|
|         |           ceforge.net                  |
|         |                                        |
|         |                                        |
|         |           05/24/2004 02:59 AM          |
|         |                                        |
|---------+---------------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |       To:       nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net                                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  [Nagios-users] High check latency with nagios                                                 |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi All,

We are setting up nagios to monitor our infrastructure, and we ran into a
few problems.  Most of them I"ve been able to solve,  thanks to reading the
mailinglist.  But the latest problem is a persistent one.
I'm running nagios on Suse Enterprise server 9, with kernel 2.6.5 on a dual
2.4 ghz intel Xeon server with hyperthreading enabled, the system has 2GB
ram.   We recompiled the kernel with SMP-support, en it detects 4 cpu's..
In nagios we defined 405 servers, and we do 6855 active checks, and 17
passive checks.   And we have an extremely bad performance.
At the tactical overview I see the following information:  check latency:
4468.402 sec.    It takes nagios about 1,5 hour to see a status change.
Needless to say that this is not acceptable.
Anyway I am looking for some hints, does anybode have an idea on what
causes this behavior?

Thanks in advance!!
Marino