Escalations - getting a different message/notify command for each different escalation level.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon May 24 15:54:35 CEST 2004

Stanley Hopcroft wrote:
> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> Is there any way of having escalated notifications send a different
> alert/notice message for each different escalation level ?

Yes. Nagios sports the nifty macro $NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$ (or something)
which can be passed to notification-commands. Just write your own and
evaluate the $NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$ macro before 'designing' the message.

If this macro doesn't work as I expect (it might not, after all), then
why not just add another macro ($ESCALATIONLEVEL$ or something).

I have a script that could easily be hacked for this lying around
somewhere, but I'm not sure where I've put it. I'll let you know if I
find it.

> A search of the Nag FAQs shows nothing about escalation and the closest
> Gmanes search facility gets is
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/12902/match=escalation
>
> (3 escalation levels with 3 different contact groups).
>
> The application is that at each escalation level
>
> . the original contact group is made aware by a different message that
> escalation has occurred
>
> . each escalation level can have a notification reflecting that level
> (by for example indicating how long the host or service has been down or
> critical).
>
> The problem seems to be that while each escalation level can have its
> own host group it seems not to be able to have its own 'notify
> commands'.
>
> A possible future solution would be to allow escalation templates to
> specify the host_notify_command and service_notify_command attributes.

Seems like a bit overkill to me, since it would require more of both
nagios and the end user. I'll dig in on finding that notification-script
and make it public (maybe even default?) one way or another.

> Another rather awkward solution is to have an event correlator examine
> the Nag logs and use the correlators rules and actions to do the
> escalation.

The notification command I wrote gets name of acknowledging user this
way. Depending on the depth of mining you need to do, it's not really
all that hard.

> Another cumbersome solution is to define multiple contacts for each
> entity to be notified and collect these with the different notify
> commands in the 3 contact groups ...
>
> Does anyone else see the need for such a facility or have a config or
> pointers they would like to share ?
>
> Thank you.

You're welcome.

> Yours sincerely.