High check latency with nagios

marino.simons at acerta.be marino.simons at acerta.be
Mon May 24 08:59:08 CEST 2004

Hi All,

We are setting up nagios to monitor our infrastructure, and we ran into a
few problems.  Most of them I"ve been able to solve,  thanks to reading
the mailinglist.  But the latest problem is a persistent one.
I'm running nagios on Suse Enterprise server 9, with kernel 2.6.5 on a
dual 2.4 ghz intel Xeon server with hyperthreading enabled, the system has
2GB ram.   We recompiled the kernel with SMP-support, en it detects 4
cpu's..   In nagios we defined 405 servers, and we do 6855 active checks,
and 17 passive checks.   And we have an extremely bad performance.
At the tactical overview I see the following information:  check latency:
4468.402 sec.    It takes nagios about 1,5 hour to see a status change.
Needless to say that this is not acceptable.
Anyway I am looking for some hints, does anybode have an idea on what
causes this behavior?

Thanks in advance!!
Marino