configuring nsca

Luke A. Kanies luke at madstop.com
Thu May 20 23:03:46 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I am interested in using nsca for transferring monitoring information from
each of my hosts to a central host, e.g., procs and load information.
This seems to be what nsca was designed for, but I haven't seen any
examples using nsca except for distributed monitoring.  This is kind of
distributed monitoring, but it's more just having each host do a portion
and having the central host do a portion.  I like the idea of using nsca
instead of nrpe because it makes each host a bit more autonomous, and I
plan on autogenerating each host's configuration on the host itself.

Is everyone instead using nrpe for this?  I know one of the problems with
trying to use nsca for this is that I have to configure the client to
perform the checks and transfer the information, and then I have to
configure the server to do the passive checks.

If I want to use nsca instead of nrpe on each host, then I assume that
means I also need to run a nagios daemon on each host?  I know that I
could also just run the checks manually, but I'd find myself recreating
all of the scheduling and such that nagios already has built-in, so it
would be a bit silly.

Pointers would be greatly appreciated,
Luke

--
One of the Ten Commandments for Technicians
         (7) Work thou not on energized equipment, for if thou dost, thy