OT: How to reduce the chance of getting a question answered from Nag users ..

Thu May 20 09:15:56 CEST 2004

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 07:04:02AM -0700, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

  .. snip ..

> --=_alternative 0034894880256E99_=

> our nagios box (6310i with serial lead ;-).  Got all the SMS stuff
> working using gnokii which works a treat.  Recommend it to anyone.
>  However, when I try and get nagios to use a new notify routine it
> fails to send the text.</font>

  .. snip ..

> $CONTACTPAGERS$</font><FONT SIZE=3><BR>
> <BR>

 .. snip ..

Although _you_ may not see this, those who get the list in Digest form
do.

Pretty ugly eh ?

In fact, it is so hard to read a Digest with a significant amount of
this, it gets deleted unread.

You can increase the likelihood of a reply to your question from me, and
perhaps from Nagios users by

1 Posting in text only.

Most mailers have I believe options that suppress sending HTML or
multipart.

There are even mailers that do _not_ send such things (other than as
attachments).

While I don't know of any for MS Windows examples (apart from Mozilla
mail), mutt and pine are two easy to live with Linux/FreeBSD mailers as
is Evolution (even endorsed by Perl Jam, 'Do the evolution Baby').

While Multipart is better than HTML only, it is still way too
much noise.

Base64 is not for polite company, unless you hang out with MUAs.

2 Posting only a small part of the letter you reply to.

Hopefully only the part that means something to a complete stranger such
as me.

3 Providing the evidence of what you have done to solve this problem.

Saying 'I read the archives or searched Nag users at Gmane' is good. If
you did so, even better.

4 Keep it short, less than 20 lines in the body (add notes at the
bottom, refer to other letters, URLs etc) - this is way too long

OTOH, I may not be able to help you even if I could read your question.

I'll submerge now.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.