Trouble installing WEBMIN

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu May 20 00:54:43 CEST 2004

Slade Edmonds wrote:
> [...]
>> When I try to verify the config, I get the errormessage below.. My
>> HostGroup.cfg follow under the errormessage..
>>
>> Thank you all VERY MUCH for any help/hints that can get me over this
>> one..
>> :-)
>>
>> Regards from Oslo, Norway,
>> Tor Arne
>>
>> Errormessage:
>>
>> Verify Nagios Configuration
>> Synchronizing logo directories... Creating dynamic Port Scan services...
>> Creating dynamic SNMP Interface services...
>> Creating PING services for interfaces...
>> Creating dynamic Service Group services...
>> Creating Parent Dependencies...
>> /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v -c /usr/local/nagmin/nagios/verify.cfg
>> Verification Failed!!
>> Nagios 1.2
>> Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
>> Last Modified: 02-02-2004
>> License: GPL
>>
>> Reading configuration data...
>>
>> Error: Could not add object property in file
>> '/usr/local/nagmin/nagios/HostGroup.cfg' on line 9.
>>

>> ***> The name of the main configuration file looks suspicious...
>>
>>     Make sure you are specifying the name of the MAIN configuration
>> file on
>>     the command line and not the name of the host configuration file.
>> The
>>     main configuration file is typically
>> '/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg'
>>
>> ***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config
>> files...
>>
>>     Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid
>>     directives and data defintions.  If you are upgrading from a previous
>>     version of Nagios, you should be aware that some
>> variables/definitions
>>     may have been removed or modified in this version.  Make sure to read
>>     the HTML documentation on the main and host config files, as well as
>> the
>>     'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.
>>

>> HostGroup.cfg:
>>
>> ## NagMIN Configuration File (/usr/local/nagmin/nagios/HostGroup.cfg) for
>> HostGroup
>> ## Generated Wed May 19 21:12:26 2004
>> define hostgroup {
>>    hostgroup_name    skarp_servere_win
>>    alias    skarp_servere_win
>>    contact_groups    admins
>>    members    xp1nt03
>> #   comment    win-serv }
>>    rtt_day    all
>>    rtt_week    all
>>    rtt_month    all
>>    rtt_year    all
>>    sla_day    all
>>    sla_week    all
>>    sla_month    all
>>    sla_year    all
>> }
>>

> If line 9 in this snip of your config is the same line 9 as the your
> actual config, then it has a problem with # comment win-serv ).  Errors
> may follow after that too.  I've never seen any hostgroup config file

Neither have I, but it seems that's some sort of internal format that
nagmin saves it in, considering the comments at the top of the file.

> Try something like this:
>
> # 'some-hosts' host group definition
> define hostgroup{
>        hostgroup_name  some-hosts
>        alias           Some Hosts Described
>        contact_groups  admins
>        members         username
>        }

... except that 'members' ofcourse should be followed by a bunch of
host_name's instead.
Check out the template-based configuration syntax in the documentation
att www.nagios.org, fire up your favorite editor and start hacking away
at it.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson