Nagios Messages

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Wed May 19 12:25:18 CEST 2004

Hi All!

We are in the processes of deciding whether we can replace HP OpenView
with Nagios. One question that has popped up is how much information we
can provide in messages sent to the server. I know that there is a
history of messages that changed the state of a particular service.
However, I cannot find details on how much information we can pass. For
example, with openview when an event occurs that sends a message to the
server we can automatically start an application the output of which is
then included in the message send to the server. In some cases, this can
be a couple of K. Is there a limit to how much we can send?

I am also curious as to what search capabilities there are for Nagios
messages. With OpenView, I can search on all sorts of criterial, like
node, date-time, message contents, and so on. Is something like this
possible with Nagios?

Regards,

jimmo