Multiple host parents?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 19 02:50:21 CEST 2004

Hi - a question that some people out there may be able to help me with.  I
can't find this detail in the docco.

If you define a host, and give it two parent hosts, are these tested using
AND or OR?

In other words, if you define host C as having A and B as parents, and A
goes down while B stays up, will C still be checked (since at lest one
parent is alive) or will C be ignored (since at least one parent is dead)?

The reason I am asking, is that we have multiple routes between our switches
-- and if one route goes down, we dont want monitoring of the things behind
to stop.  However, if both go down, then we do.  Finally, the network
diagrams will show the correct linkages if defined with multiple parents.

Does anyone know the answer without my running some tests?

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **