Nagios with high server count, how to organize

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri May 14 20:30:54 CEST 2004

Misao <mailto:misaochankun at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> This question is more directed to those with 50+ servers to even
> 1000+ servers. After a point, the service detail page, and even the
> status map, get a little overwhelmed with all the servers on the
> list. Is there a way to organize the server list in a more manageable
> manner? Can I show just a certain list of servers I choose, or
> organize them by area/os/etc? I plan on have a few hundred servers on

Use hostgroups to create views. A host can be in more than one hostgroup
so you could have overlap if you need it. You'll be able to create
servicegroups in 2.0 I believe.

> Nagios, and I would prefer not having to create a new Nagios instance
> for each department. Also, this setup would be useful so that I can
> make sure that department 1 only sees their servers, and department 2
> sees another group of servers, but department 3 might need to see
> multiple groups, etc. I haven't found an easy way to do this yet.

Nagios does this by default with authentication enabled. Users are only
able to see hosts and services that they are authorized contacts for.
It's well documented.
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/cgiauth.html

> Also, on dependencies. Can I set up Nagios in a manner that if router
> 4 is down, that Nagios won't bother telling me that all the servers
> behind router 4 are down? I currently have a setup where these
> servers are told what their parent is, but it still tells me that
> every server is unreachable when the router is down.

Remove the 'u' (unreachable) directive from your notification_options in
your host definitions.
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#host --

notifications_options: This directive is used to determine when
notifications for the host should be sent out. Valid options are a
combination of one or more of the following: d = send notifications on a
DOWN state, u = send notifications on an UNREACHABLE state, and r = send
notifications on recoveries (OK state). If you specify n (none) as an
option, no host notifications will be sent out. Example: If you specify
d,r in this field, notifications will only be sent out when the host
goes DOWN and when it recovers from a DOWN state.

--
Marc