Nagios with high server count, how to organize

Mueller, Karl KMueller at netsuite.com
Fri May 14 20:11:31 CEST 2004

Misao,

Service detail has much too much information to be useful.  We usually
just watch the "Service Problems" page.  If you need to be able to
browse hosts, I would create arbitrary (logical) hostgroups and browse
them with Hostgroup Overview and Hostgroup Summary.

If you are running 2.0, you can also use Service Groups.

The way you can split it up by departments is to create hostgroups and
make them contacts for their own hostgroups but not others.
Alternately, you just have hostgroups that they can click through (if
being able to see other hostgroups is not a security issue)

Check out the notification options for hosts to remove the "unreachable"
messages.    In the host objects, you want:

notification_options [d,u,r,f]

remove the "u".  (we use D & R in our setup)

Karl