Solution: NRPE - Could not read request from client, bailing out...

Flak Magnet flakmagnet at tabletop-battlezone.com
Fri May 14 14:08:19 CEST 2004

On Friday 14 May 2004 02:58 am, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Your nagios servers IP probably isn't mentioned in the 'allowed_hosts'
> section in your nrpe.conf on the solaris machine.
>
> Also, if check_nrpe was compiled WITH ssl support and NRPE was compiled
> without, you have to specify the '-n' flag to check_nrpe, so to make it
> use a non-ssl connection (otherwise the handshake will fail, and it will
> tell you so).

Thanks for your response.

Actually, I figured out what the problem was last night.  The 1.9 version
wanted the "-inetd" option when running from inetd.  The 2.0 version wants
just "-i" when running from inetd.

The extra characters after the "-i" for v2.0 created errors and prevented nrpe
from responding to check_nrpe, thus the 0 byte response and the lack of
errors in /var/adm/messages on the solaris box.

All is well with NRPE in my world now.

--

-- Tim "Flak Magnet"
http://geocities.com/flakmagnet72/