Escalations / 15 minute wait on notifications

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Thu May 13 15:44:09 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'm sure other people run into the problem where a device flaps, or on
occasion fails (hard-state) for one pass of checks before recovering.
You then get a notification, and then another when it recovers. The
worst is when you're on-call and you get 8 of them at night before it
goes into a "flapping" state, and you sleep soundly through it while
your spouse beats you because she heard it...so, anyway :)

I was curious what tactics other people take to delay notification, even
on a hard state failure, until at least one more pass of nagios checks
occurs. Standard tactics in our office is not to action on all but a few
hosts unless it stays down for 10-15 minutes. Is there a way, using
escalations or some other trick I'm unaware of, to send notifications to
an email address immediately, and only send a page to the on-call person
after 15 minutes have elapsed?

Thanks!

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer