check_ping packet loss issue, Andreas Ericsson's replacement

Noah Leaman noah at mac.com
Thu May 13 07:31:04 CEST 2004

I am trying to solve the issue of the check_ping plugin generally
reporting packet loss when that doesn't seem to really be the case. it
seems this is a common problem. I am using nagios 1.3 with the
changed-ash patch and plugins 1.3.1.

1) Am I right in thinking that the check_ping "bogus" packet loss issue
is a valid and somewhat common (perhaps inly certain environments)?

2) I am also using Mac OS X (Panther), and it seems the check_fping
didn't compile or install. Not 100% sure why. i just compiled Andreas
Ericsson's replacement but got these errors when compiling:

$ make
rm -f *.o a.out core check_fping
gcc -O2 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -g -ggdb -W -Wunused -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes   -c -o check_fping.o check_fping.c
check_fping.c: In function `main':
check_fping.c:406: warning: unsigned int format, long unsigned int arg
(arg 4)
gcc   check_fping.o   -o check_fping

Am I safe still using it? Seems to work with what I've tested. Or is
there any changes I could make to have it compile without any warnings?