Output problems with check_snmp ...

Justin Hennessy jhennessy at mitchamcouncil.sa.gov.au
Thu May 13 04:31:43 CEST 2004

Andreas,

Thanks for that (the head is still sore after that maths lesson
*grin*).

Your statement "why you would want thresholds on uptime in the first
place eludes me" is probably correct it is just that we have power
outages and I wanted to know if the switch reboot (ie check to see if
the switches have been up for MORE than 1 day).

The other thing is that when the state is good I just want to see the
same about from the command as I get when I don't use the -w/-c
switches.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Hennessy wrote:
> Hi all (again),
>
> I am trying check the uptime of my managed switches but I have a
little
> problem when I put the test into Nagios.
>
> When I run this:
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H 172.16.4.1 -o
> system.sysUpTime.0 -C dragonsbain
>
> I get this:
> SNMP OK - Timeticks: (563369316) 65 days, 4:54:53.16
>
> BUT when I run this:
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H 172.16.4.1 -o
> system.sysUpTime.0 -C dragonsbain -w 10 -c 30
>
> I get this:
> SNMP CRITICAL - *563375231*
>
> Can anyone shed some light on why the output changes when I put the
> WARNING and CRITICAL criteria in?

Which is correct. One timetick represents 1/100 of a second, and
563369316 1/100's of a second makes for 65 days, 4 hours, 54 minutes
and
53.16 seconds (the above example. There was a time delay of 59.15
seconds delay between your running of snmpget and check_snmp).

check_snmp doesn't do that translation for you, so you have to specify

it in timeticks (why you would want thresholds on uptime in the first
place eludes me, but who am I to say?)

Anyways... The math goes something like this;
threshold=(((((days*24*60)+hours)*60+minutes)*60+seconds)*100)+centiseconds
Mind the math precedense.

One day is 86400 seconds. You do the math on the thresholds you want,
and don't forget to multiply by 100.

> Thanks,

Anytime.

--