Remotely checking disk space

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Mon May 10 20:40:01 CEST 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Brent M. Clements wrote:

> How would I configure nagios to monitor the disk space of remote systems?
> I assumed I'd use check_by_ssh combined with the check_disk command, but
> what do I have to configure in order for this to work?

Brent,

You have just described one way to do it, there are others.  Check_by_ssh
happens to be my method of choice so I'll provide some additional details
that may help you.

1.  Create an ssh keypair for the nagios user on your nagios box.
2.  Create a nagios account on all the remote machines you wish to
monitor.  Put the nagios plugins on the remote machines.  I use /home/nagios/bin.
3.  Publish the ssh public key to /home/nagios/.ssh/authorized_keys on
each remote machine.
4.  Manually log in as the nagios user from the nagios box
to each remote box to add the host keys to your known hosts file on the
nagios box.
5.  From now on, you should be able to ssh as the nagios user
from the nagios box to each remote box without any intervention.
6.  Configure a service check like check_remote_disk and define it in
checkcommands.cfg.  Check_remote_disk will in turn rely on check_by_ssh.
7.  You may want to use $USER$ variables to store things
like the path to the nagios plugins on the remote side and the path to
your private key on the nagios side.

Once you get this set up for check_disk, you can apply the same steps to
check remote load, users, procs, whatever.

Good luck, you are on the right track.

Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com