Nagios Missing Passive Checks

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Fri May 7 16:07:51 CEST 2004

David Barnett wrote:

> I am running Nagios with mostly passive services and nsca/send_nsca.  I
> have a service that gets triggered when an event occurs on a client
> machine, and when the event happens, it passes two passive checks to
> Nagios, one to turn the service to a Warning state and one to turn it to
> an OK state (to trigger the event handler).  It will always send in two
> checks, and they will occur back to back.  I have noticed that
> occasionally, it misses one of the checks.  Because it misses the check
> in, it fails to call the event handler, which is the most important
> part.  I log everything I send with send_nsca, and it logs both checks.
> I don’t log passive service checks, because this would result in such a
> large event log.  Why does this happen and what can I do to fix it?
> Here are some variables in my nagios.cfg file:
>

> check_external_commands=1
>
> command_check_interval=-1
>
> max_concurrent_checks=0
>
> service_reaper_frequency=10
>

> Do I need to switch any of these values or is there something else I
> need to do?  Thanks for any help
>

> David

Have thought I saw a post regarding problems setting the command check
interval to -1, IIRC the docs indicate that YMMV with this (if that is
not too many TLAs ;-) ). Try searching the archives for a recent thread
titled...

"Passive check reception in nagios-1.2 does not scale"

On the development list.

Jim