Nagios Configuration File in DB

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu May 6 14:58:20 CEST 2004

Thierry Missimilly <mailto:THIERRY.MISSIMILLY at BULL.NET> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work with Nagios 1.1, compiled with pgsql options. I would like to
> know why the .cfg files are not replaced by configuration tables and
> if it is planned for the next releases.

The core Nagios distribution does not support storing of config
information in a database. In fact, all database support was supposed to
be dropped from the main distribution in 2.0 but it looks like most of
it is going to hang on for a little while longer. There are several
tools that can be downloaded from
http://www.nagios.org/download/extras.php (Naui, Nagmin, etc) that allow
you to modifiy config information in a database and then translate that
to the nagios config file format. As far as database support in general,
Ethan has written an event broker daemon that will allow custom modules
to receive and process any type of data they register for (but not
config data afaik). This can be used to process all of the same status
information that is currently stuck in databases and more. That way
Ethan doesn't need to maintain 3 different data storage mechanisms in
code and opens up the ability to store the data in any kind of system
that can be communicated with by the nagios host without core code
changes. There used to be some detail on the Upcoming page but it looks
like it's been moved/removed. You can always search the list archives if
you're interested in more information.

--
Marc