"(Has been acknowledged)" message won't go away

dave-nagios at homer.cymry.org dave-nagios at homer.cymry.org
Mon May 3 00:24:07 CEST 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 06:51:33PM -0400, Peter Beckman wrote:
> Nowhere did it tell me what happens when I acknowledge a problem, nor how
> nagios removes the acknowledgement after the host comes back up.  I've
> since deleted the comment, but the acknowledgement icon and subsequent text
> won't go away.

Assuming someone named "joe" ack'd the SERVICE service on the server SERVER, using
the comment "I'm working on it.", exactly the following will happen:

The cgi will write the following two lines to the external command file
[DATE] ADD_SVC_COMMENT;SERVER;SERVICE;1;joe;ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: I'm working on it
[DATE] ACKNOWLEDGE_SVC_PROBLEM;SERVER;SERVICE;1;I'm working on it

Nagios will read in the first line and put the service in an ack state, which will
postpone notifications on it, and optionally send an ack notification if you've
configured it to do so.

Nagios will read in the second line and add a comment to the bottom of the service.

You can check to see what happens when you click something in the interface by tail
-f'ing the external command file while you click the thingy.

> I didn't see anything relevant in the archives either, searching for "ack"
> "acknowledge" and "(Has been acknowledged)".
>
> So:
>
> I've got this host.  It is up, according to the host check service
> check_tcp9931.  Yes, running 1.1, which is why I made a special service
> with no args.  It is in an "acknowledged" state and I don't know how to get
> it to stop being acknowledged, since it is back online.

The ack state should go away when the service changes into an ok state. The comment
will go away when you tell it to via the web front end under "comments"

You can force an ack to go away by navigating to the ack'd service and choosing
"Remove problem acknowledgement" from the command box on the left