check snmp question

XeloQ Communications tjapko at xeloq.com
Wed Mar 31 23:45:40 CEST 2004

Hello,

Installed nagios on RH9 and running well. I try to implement the
chec_snmp service and therefore installed net-snmp with success.

The units that I like to snmp are provided with a propietary MIB list.
The unit itself are prepared for the use of snmp.

After in depth trying to get the snmpget to work I end up all the time
with a famous SNMP error  SNMP Problem No data received from host.

My big question is the -o parameter in the check_snmp plugin.

I do have the vendors SNMPv2 MIB definition txt file but I don't have
anything related to the OID information.

As I understood from all the material I read sofar I need to tell the
snmpget what info he need to take out the device that I like to manage
by filling out the -o parameter by using some sort of number like
1.2.3.5.23.0

What I would like to know if is I am right and if so  HOW to obtain the
appropriate numbers.

My command while testing sofar is looking like this:

check_snmp -H 200.84.100.100 -p 161 -P 1 -m /usr/share/snmp/mib/DEVICE.
MIB.txt -0 ?.?.?.?

Can anybody give me a hint here?

Tjapko.