SNMP Plugin Help

Clint Sulis clint at misinc.net
Wed Mar 31 23:16:16 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'm having trouble monitoring load average, and could use some help.
My SNMP service runs on port 2112 and the community is called "nagios".
  When I call the check_snmp plugin from a shell prompt it works great,
but when I create a service to do the same thing, I get a warning that
no data was received!  I will provide as much information as I can
about my setup and the tests I have run so far.  Any advice you can
give on how I can troubleshoot this more in-depth would be greatly
appreciated!

===================
COMMAND PROMPT TEST
===================

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H 69.20.4.144 -o
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.1 -C nagios -p 2112
SNMP OK - "0.20"

==========================
ENTRY IN CHECKCOMMANDS.CFG
==========================

define command {
         command_name    check_snmp
         command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -o $ARG1$ -C $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
}

=====================
ENTRY IN SERVICES.CFG
=====================

define service {
        use                             generic_service
        host_name                       rackspace_yourmis
        service_description             LOAD
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           3
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admin
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command
check_snmp!.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.1!nagios!2112
}

I'm really puzzled at what could be the problem.  If you know how I can
get more detail on what nagios might be doing wrong when it runs this
service check, please let me know.  Thank you!

Clint Sulis
System Administrator
PHP/MySQL Programmer