Echo nagios status?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Mar 31 20:58:52 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, March 31, 2004 12:21 PM, Paul L. Allen shared with us:

> Marc Powell writes:

> > I haven't been able to determine any real functional difference
> > between the two different methods and routinely use the latter
> > example.
>
> As I recall if the check goes stale then Nagios will try to perform
> an the active check that you defined.  This is useful if you want
> distributed monitoring to take the load off the central monitor but
> want the central machine to take over if one of your distributed
> monitors goes down.

Presuming freshness checking is enabled... Also from the documentation
on freshness checking "It is important to note that an active service
check which is being forced because the service was detected as being
"stale" gets executed even if active service checks are disabled on a
program-wide or service-specific basis." This means that in addition to
implementing either one of my suggestions, he would also need to disable
freshness checking if he has it enabled to fully resolve his question.
Thanks for pointing that out. The documentation is unclear as to whether
freshness checking also ignores the time_period directive as well so my
examples may still work as provided with it enabled.

> If the reason you have a machine submitting passive checks is because
> an intervening firewall won't let you do active checks then you don't
> want active checks enabled unless you want misleading error mesages.

This seems to me to be irrelevant. He already recognizes that in his
situation, active checks from Nagios aren't acceptable to him and the
desired solution is the same either way. Also, there is no stipulation
that the check_command on the central Nagios box must be the same as on
the distributed machine or whatever is submitting the results. The only
two pieces of information that must match are the host_name and
service_description. If you were to see 'misleading error messages'
because of this then I would say the installation wasn't thought through
or implemented very well.

--
Marc