Echo nagios status?

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed Mar 31 20:20:36 CEST 2004

Marc Powell writes:

> Each will yeild the same results but display differently in the web
> interface. In the former, each service will have a big red X

Looks like a P to me on the status displays.

> I haven't been able to determine any real functional difference between
> the two different methods and routinely use the latter example.

As I recall if the check goes stale then Nagios will try to perform an
the active check that you defined.  This is useful if you want
distributed monitoring to take the load off the central monitor but
want the central machine to take over if one of your distributed monitors
goes down.

If the reason you have a machine submitting passive checks is because
an intervening firewall won't let you do active checks then you don't
want active checks enabled unless you want misleading error mesages.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support