Error using NSclient: Return code of 139 is out of bound

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Mar 30 09:52:30 CEST 2004

emily zhou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have monitored NT/2000 using NSclient for CPU, Mem and Disk check for
> a long time, no problem at all until today I found error mesgs shown
> "Return code of 139 is out of bound" about one 2000 box. The puzzle is
> that Checking CPU for this box is working fine but Disk and Mem check
> have that error occurred.

This could theoretically happen if you have some misbehaving anti-virus
software running (or viruses, which always misbehave. ;-) ).
Check your eventlogs and any runtime virus-detection logs you have. If
you can't find it there, you can try setting the user NSClient runs as
to 'SYSTEM' (is that default?) to make sure any obscure security
enhancing programs you have in place doesn't touch it. This isn't
recommended however, since any bugs in it might result in arbitrary code
execution from remote locations as the system user.

--
Mvh / Best Regards
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
andreas.ericsson at op5.se