Passive service checks not being accepted by primary?

Cliff Riggs cliff at proteris.com
Tue Mar 30 04:47:36 CEST 2004

Thank you Paul,

I did disable the active checks for the services that were being
checked remotely. I see the benefit of freshness checks, but I didn't
want to enable those until I was confident that the passive checks
themselves where being received properly.

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I figured out the problem - thanks to
the comments on this board in response to my post and from scouring the
archives. I mentioned that I used FreeBSD and I'm normally quite
diligent about changing the Linux paths to match what FreeBSD uses. I
neglected to do so in one portion of the example submit_check_results
script in the Nagios Distributed Monitoring discussion page. I used the
example "/bin/printf" when I should have been using the
"/usr/bin/printf" for FreeBSD. This meant that garbage was being sent
by the send_nsca script. I also neglected my own Nagios troubleshooting
procedure of running the commands from the libexec/nagios directory
when I was in trouble, which would have pointed out the problem right
away.

Thank you to those who responded. I appreciate it!

Cliff
- --
Clifford Riggs
CCIE #9314, CISSP