Special notifications handling in Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Mar 26 12:47:10 CET 2004

Petr Simek wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Joe Rhett wrote:
>

>>I really don't see any problem with most of this.  All you need to do is
>>set up the proper intersection of notification times for the hosts and
>>the contacts. The only gotcha is ...
>>

>>>  at 1:00, then 'up state' notification will be sent at 7:00
>>
>>Uh.. nobody (no process) is going to hang around for 6 hours and wait to
>>send you a notification.  Really.  Notifications are either sent or not
>>at the time they are conceived :-(
>>
>>Now you can tune this using the notification options so that you don't
>>get the notifications at night, but you get them in e-mail so that you
>>can review them in the morning, but they didn't interrupt your sleep.
>>All sorts of flexibility here.
>

> Yes, I have email account where nagios notifications goes. But I am not
> always within reach of computer to read emails. Therefore I want a special
> contact to forward notifications as SMS to my mobile phone.

Are you within reach to make any difference to the network when you're
not in front of a computer?
If there are others responsible for running the network as well, they
should handle it before you have time to worry about it.

> And I would special behavior at this contact - one notification when
> service or host goes down a and one when goes up. This is no problem.
> But I want delay down and up notifications normally sended between
> 23:00-6:59 into 7:00 and only in case that state at 23:00 is different
> at 7:00. If there was a problem between 3:00 and 4:00 don't send
> notifications to this contact. This problem I will see when I will read
> emails, but at 7:00 is not actual.

If you really want this, then create your own script which writes them
to a file which is parsed by cron at whatever time you want, and send
the notifications then (don't forget to delete the notifications file
from the cron script).
I imagine this can also be done by parsing the logfiles each morning,
and that might even be easier.

Mvh
Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB